Society now appreciates engineers who are creative thinkers, well -grounded, analytical, and ethical, with the ability to identify societal engineering needs and provide solutions, leveraging theory and practical experience. At the MIST’s School of Engineering, we are dedicated to training students who aspire to learn and understand the breadth and depth of how to lead in the field of engineering. We provide the environment and resources that encourage hands-on learning, scholarship, and research culminating in provision of solutions and service to communities. At the school of Engineering, we offer spectrum of collaborative research and practical oriented programmes in Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Oil and Gas Engineering. The school is nurturing a culture that encourages faculty, student, alumni, families, and industry collaborations and partnerships to work towards changing the world with engineering solutions.
Remarkable things go on every day in and around our campus in Ghana. The world outside will always request more engineers, and MIST will continue to assure that our students can not only step into that world, but lead it.Please explore MIST website if you would like to know more about our people and departments. We hope you will join us as we help address some of the most pressing challenges facing the world today.
I welcome you on my own behalf and that of the faculty of School of Engineering to the school. As you explore learning opportunities, I hope you will find the information provided here useful.
Acting Dean, School of Engineering (Ahmed Abdelrahman Mohamed Aly)
- Name: Ahmed Abdelrhman Mohamed Aly
- Birth date: 29/6/1977
- Nationality: Egyptian
- Mobile: 00233-509302510
- E-mail: email@example.com
- LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ahmed-a-mohamed-24330a8a/
- ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ahmed_Mohamed72
- Senior Lecturer and Acting Dean of Engineering School, October, 2018 – present, Civil Engineering Department, School of Engineering, Madina Institute of Science and Technology, Accra – Ghana.
- Lecturer, December 2011 – November 2014, Civil Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Al-Azhar University, Qena, Egypt.
- Assistant Lecturer, March 2008– December 2011, Civil Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Al-Azhar University, Qena, Egypt.
- Teaching Assistant, April 2002 – March 2008, Civil Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Al-Azhar University, Qena, Egypt.
- Delivering these lectures to undergraduate students, in
|a.||Soil and Rock Mechanics||Year Two, Semester Two|
|b.||Soil Mechanics||Year Three, Semester One|
|c.||Foundation Engineering||Year Three, Semester Two|
|d.||Geotechnical Engineering||Year Four, Semester One|
|e.||Elementary Structures||Year Two, Semester One|
|f.||Elementary Fluid Mechanics||Year One, Semester Two|
- Preparing lecture materials, delivering, setting and marking examination scripts.
- Participating in the development and implementation of academic policies, guiding principles and objectives in accordance with the philosophy of the Department and the Faculty (Dean of School of Engineering).
- Contributing in the curriculum review and the development of Civil Engineering courses, especially the Geotechnical Engineering courses at undergraduate level.
- Providing academic leadership to the school by supervising and coordinating the activities of the vice president–academic affairs.
- Attending various institute and school meetings, development programs of the institute and workshops.
- Responding to students’ academic concerns and seeking resolution at the School level, ensuring that accurate recording of these matters are kept in the Dean’s office.
- Participating in the vision establishment, long-term and short-term plan documents, decision-making and assisting with strategic planning for both the school and Institute.
- Enhancing an institutional attitude and School climate that foster a collegial environment and excellence including advising.
- Conducting and supporting students and faculty research and providing support to less experienced colleagues, and conducting performance and development reviews through:
- Physical and numerical modeling of the ground movement induced by retained excavation.
- Finite element modeling of the different soil improvement method sand Soil stabilization techniques.
- Soil –Structure Interaction Analysis.
- Deep Anchored Piled Retaining Walls (Analysis, Design, Detailing).
- Stability analyses problems and Slope Stabilization techniques.
- Making Comparison between the classical analysis methods, numerical models and experimental results to conclude design charts and recommending for studies in geotechnical cases.
- Conducting laboratory tests to determine the soil properties, and making the laboratory models for studying cases. An automatic IOtechDaqBoard/2005 data acquisition system with LabView software used to continuously monitor and record data during all stages of the experimental model tests.
- Writing up many researches in geotechnical engineering topics and preparing it for publication.
Senior Technical Engineer, November.2014.– September 2018, Extreme piling tech W.L.L, Doha, Qatar.
The main responsibility is modelling of soils and rocks, and designing of piling foundation, shoring systems and soil improvement. Plaxis 2D, Plaxis 3D and Wallap for example were used in the modelling.
Awarded jobs “sample”
Piling works “Lusail Development Priority Street scapes, construction package CP10J’’, Doha, Qatar.
Shoring, Piling and Excavation Works “Al Khayrien Tower – (B+G+Podium+18F) Proposed 5-Star Plus Hotel Hala Group Enterprises”, Lusail, Qatar.
Shoring, Piling and Excavation Works “Proposed 5 Star Plus Hotel (3B + Podium(G+2) +Tower 36 Floors)”, West Bay, Qatar.
Piling works “Pipeline for Mega Reservoirs (Package – A)”, Qatar.
Piling works “Transmission Pipeline for Mega Reservoirs (Package – A)”, Qatar.
Shoring Works “White Square Apartment Building (2B+G+M+24F)”, Doha, Qatar.
Shoring and Piling Works “Proposed Private Residence KDO”, Doha, Qatar.
Shoring and Piling Works “Al Darwish Residential Tower”, Doha, Qatar.
Shoring and Piling Works “Construction, Completion and Maintrnance of Salwa Resort Building” Qatar.
- JULY 2011, Ph.D.
Civil Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Al-Azhar University, Egypt.
Title: “The Effect of Ground Movement Induced by Retained Excavation on Adjacent Structures”
Description: In the Ph.D. research, series of finite element analysis was performed on a prototype dimensions and a comparison between the laboratory model tests and the finite element analysis was presented. The studied strip footing is considered to be constructed adjacent to retained excavation in medium and dense sand. The excavation is supported using cantilever and strutted sheet pile wall. Two-dimensional plane strain program PLAXIS is used in this study. Fifteen nodes triangular element is used to idealize soil with Hardening soil model. The main objective of this research is to establish an analytical and experimental model represents realistic behavior for retained excavation and adjacent strip footing. Comparison was made between the classical analysis and analytical model in the stability of deep excavation.
- JANUARY 2008, M.SC.
Civil Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt.
Title: “Effect of Deep Excavation on The Behavior of Adjacent Structure “
Description: The main objective of this research is to establish an analytical model represents realistic behavior for the unbraced and braced deep excavation and adjacent building. The effect of the important parameters affecting the behavior of the chosen model such as distance between the building and excavation, embedment depth for the building and variety of soil properties and supporting system and the overall behavior of the system were studied. Comparison was done between the classical analysis and analytical model for study in the stability of deep excavation. This problem is investigated numerically in the present study using finite element method. Five-story reinforced concrete building rests on raft foundation is idealized as two-dimensional models. The building is considered to be constructed adjacent to excavation affected by an adjacent excavation in medium sand. Excavation is supported using sheet pile wall. Two-dimensional plane strain program PLAXIS is used in this study.
And the M.Sc. Courses are:
Computer Application in Soil Mechanics & Foundations
Advanced Soil Mechanics
Foundation on Difficult Soil
- MAY 2001, B.SC.
Civil Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt. Graduation Project is design reinforced concrete structures with ‘‘Very Good” grade
Ahmed A. Mohamed and Ahmed M. El-Tuhami “The Effect of Jet Grouting on The Behavior of Strip Footing Adjacent to Slope Crest” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science, Vol:3, No:1, March 2015, Issn:2348-7550. http://ijates.com/images/short_pdf/1427443439_661.pdf
Ahmed A. Mohamed, Yousry M. Mowafy and Ahmed M. El-Tuhami “Performance of Cantilever Sheet Pile Supporting Excavation Adjacent to Strip Footing” Second International Conference on Geotechnique, Construction Materials and Environment, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Nov. 14-16, 2012, Isbn: 978-4-9905958-1-4 C3051.
Ahmed A. Mohamed, Yousry M. Mowafy, Ahmed M. El-Tuhami and Samir A. Gad “Convergence Examining of Classical Methods of Lateral Pressure Determenation With Expremental And Numerical Analysis” Journal of Al-Azhar University Engineering Sector, Vol.6, No.19, April 2011.
Ahmed A. Mohamed, Yousry M. Mowafy, Ahmed M. El-Tuhami and Samir A. Gad “Eefect of Sheet Pile Wall Supported Excavation on Adjacent Strip Foundation” Journal of Al-Azhar University Engineering Sector, Vol.6, No.19, April 2011.
Ahmed A. Mohamed and Ahmed M. El-Tuhami. “Effect of Deep Compaction of Soil Underneath Excavation Bottom in Reducing Deformation of Adjacent Structures” Journal of Almenia Engineering, 2009.
Ahmed A. Mohamed, Ebraheem H. Ramadan, Mohamed H. Hussein, and Abdel_Aziz A. A. Senoon. “Behaviour of Cantilever Sheet Pile Wall Adjacent to Buildings” Journal of The Egyptian Geotechnical Society, 2007.
Member in the Egyptian Engineering Syndicate.
- Advanced 2D & 3D numerical modelling of soil-structure interaction accounting for nonlinear behavior of materials, stress and water in situ conditions, and explicit definition of construction stages.
- Plaxis – Wallap – Allpile – Geo 5 – AutoCAD – Sap2000 – Etabs – Safe – Prokon.
- Windows – Word – Excel – Power Point – Internet
- Ahmed M. Tuhami, Associate Professor of Soil Mechanics and Foundations, Civil Engineering Department, Bany Suafe University, Egypt, currently seconded to Umm Alqura university, (Saudia Arabia). Phone: +966 50 079 8508 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ali Ismail Awad, Associate Professor, Computer Science, Electrical and Space Engineering Department, Luleå University of Technology, Luleå, Sweden. Phone: +46 (0)920 493414 Email: email@example.com
Programmes And Admissions
Admission to the Engineering school is competitive as we seek to admit students who demonstrate potential for academic excellence, ethical behavior, and leadership.
Our undergraduate degree programmes integrate thorough understanding of Engineering theory and practical applications, in a hands-on and research driven learning environment that gives students’ ability to pursue professional advancement and to offer effective leadership in the field of engineering. Our curriculum offers students the foundation to become captains in areas of Civil, Mechanical, and Oil and Gas Engineering. As capstone to completion of our rigorous programmes is training in creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- BSc, Civil Engineering
- BSc, Oil and Gas Engineering
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering
BSc In Civil Engineering
This programme is purported to train high level technical personnel in designing and construction management to solve everyday construction problems related to structures, foundations, environmental and transportation systems, waterways, ports, irrigation, drainage, and water supply and treatment. We also expose students to the relationship between planning, designing, and supervision of construction facilities to other areas of engineering to facilitate the development of new perspectives and innovation. Students enrolled in this programme are exposed to requisite technology and ethical values needed to lead in the field of engineering throughout their training.
BSc In Mechanical Engineering
In a relaxed and stimulating environment we create, our students are exposed to theory and practice of mechanical engineering and auxiliary fields, such as materials, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), information technology, nanotechnology, and bioengineering. On completion of the programme students will have understanding and appreciation of important issues in mechanical engineering such as Modeling and simulation; power generation; design of machinery; manufacturing; guidance systems; product design and development; robotics; propulsion engineering; system analysis and design; and many others.
BSc In Oil And Gas Engineering
Energy has become one of the major drivers of global economies. Many economies and societies are becoming more reliant on premium fossil fuels such as oil and gas. The Oil and Gas industry therefore needs improvements and sustenance in order to continue to propel growth. This programme is designed to train students in theory and practice to identify, analyze and leverage knowledge of science and technology to provide engineering solutions in the oil and gas industry. Also, our Students with the support of faculty and experts examine areas including Petroleum and Natural Gas Extraction, Petroleum reservoir Engineering Design, Oil Well Drilling Laboratory, Reservoir Modeling, Production Process Engineering among others to give them the capacity to solve simple and complex everyday problems.
Career Support Center
This center offers valuable resources to students who intend to become future entrepreneurs and advance their career. We accomplish this mission by linking our students to industry, prepare and support them for
pursuit of entrepreneurship. Various resources are provided here to support their endeavor. Services provided by this center include
- Assessment Testing
- Career Advising
- Career Exploration
- Career Fairs
- Networking Seminars
- Entrepreneurial Support
- Co-op and Internship Opportunities
- Online Job Search tools
- Career Management workshops